Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:14:14 +0000
>Hello all,
>
>I just heard on Canada's CBC Radio One (AM 740) that later this morning
>there will be a woman interviewed from Britain who had 3 of her 4 babies die
>of SIDS; she was later charged with homicide and went to jail.  She has now
>been exonerated.
>
>The part I am most interested in is they said that the knowledge of experts
>on SIDS/infant sleep, etc., was being brought into question.  I wonder what
>their spin on this and co-sleeping will be, and any breastfeeding tie-in.
>I'm worried about that.

You can find out more about this by doing a search on
http://www.bbc.co.uk and using Cannings as a search term.

This case has been part of a huge discussion in the UK about SIDS and
Munchausens by proxy.

There has been hardly anything about co-sleeping and breastfeeding in
the discussion, though, except for the fact that during the Cannings
appeal, the defence doc (or one of them) said that at least one of
the children was formula fed and all the children were born to
parents who were smokers, and that these 2 factors increased the risk
of SIDS.

What puzzled us was that the doc said the baby was formula fed for
the first 2 weeks of life (and then what? breastfed?) and also that
the BBC was the only news source that mentioned feeding.

I reported on Lactnet a few weeks ago that the FSID, our cot death
charity, http://www.sids.org.uk has as a corporate sponsor Cow&Gate
who are part of Nutricia. They even had the logo on their website.
Many bf supporters emailed them to complain about the connection and
they have since removed the logo but not (presumably) ceased the
sponsorship.

The FSID recommends no co-sleeping at all, and does not support bf as
a protective factor against SIDS.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, UK