From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:33:44 EDT
In a message dated 7/19/02 2:00:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Wood said, "This study is important because it is well
> done. But the benefit of breastfeeding, although real,
> is small."

I am personally disgusted by this comment.  Did he even read the study? what
is his MO.  THEY found that 2/3 of the reduction in breast cancer  was
due to breastfeeding!
"This study should influence how we approach birth
control pills and other hormonal therapies," he said.
"I would advocate breastfeeding based on motivation
and lifestyle, not on decreasing the risk of breast
cancer."

WHAT!!!  WE just had an NIH study that was pulled before completion because
hormone therapy CAUSES breast cancer.   THis is just sickening!

"The message here is not to have seven children and
breastfeed them for a total of 13 years," Calle said.
"The message is that simple and unglamorous factors
affect the risk of breast cancer.

UNGLAMOROUS!!  The most beautiful thing in the world is to see your child or
another being nurtured at the breast!   Who published this rubbish!

Breastfeeding does
decrease your risk of breast cancer, and if you want
to increase the duration of breastfeeding a bit, that'
s great."

What a contradictory statement--we don't want you to feeel tooo guilty now
just increase it a bit.  NOt do what is normal and practice mutual weaning!

Expert Suggests Other Ways to Reduce Risk
William C. Wood, MD, chairman of the department of
surgery at Emory University School of Medicine, and an
expert in breast cancer, noted this study shows that
if a woman had two children and breastfed for one year
for each child, her personal lifetime risk of breast
cancer would decrease from 10% to 9%.

For women with a high risk of breast cancer, Wood
noted that drugs like tamoxifen could reduce the risk
of breast cancer by 50%.

Here is the belief that again medical science is better than nature--it is so
simple just take this little pill.  Lets not talk about the risks of that
pill --like endometrial cancer.  Lets not recognize that there are NO risks
to breastfeeding just benefits.

Utterly sickened by this response.  Utterly sickened by the whole month of
events and crimes against woman and children.

Christine Betzold NP IBCLC MSN
www.starfireinternational.net/breastfed