From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:16:15 -0500
Re: Laura Hart's questions about a rash of low blood glucoses in NBs: I
don't mean to be facetious, but I think that too many of the babies are
getting tested! Were they "symptomatic"? IMHO, it's your protocol that's the
problem - just a guess, but I bet the babies are fine. If 80% of your
deliveries are with epidural, does that mean 80% of the babies are getting
stabbed? Quit poking the poor little things!

Sounds like another excuse to mess around with the babies & create excuses
why the medical staff should have control over them. Why not assume that
things are as they should be, in the absence of evidence to the contrary? It
reminds me of the "old days" when babies stayed longer in the hospital, and
so many of them developed jaundice "serious enough" to have to go under the
lights, interrupt BFing, & the whole rigamarole. A miracle has occurred
here - now that they're out of there by day 3 at the latest, much lower
incidence of this terrible "jaundice". Hmmm, do I thereby conclude that
hospital stays of > 3 days cause jaundice?? (There's some good science for
ya!)

Cathy Bargar RN, IBCLC