From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:18:55 +0100
Jennifer posts about a baby who in the first 24 hours has been unable to
maintain a solid latch, possibly due to anatomic features as mentioned in
the subject line.
Sounds like the mom and you are doing everything right for this situation.
Even though there is no reason to think that labor itself or medications to
mother during labor, have impaired this baby's ability to latch, he is still
a novice at this game, and I would fully expect him to show more interest
and possibly more capability over the next day or two, provided mother
continues to express colostrum/milk for him, so he doesn't end up
frustrated, hungry and desperate.  The potential for skin to skin contact to
facilitate the process can never be underestimated.
If there is a frenulum that could be clipped, I'd put considerable effort
into doing so, preferably before baby starts viewing the breast as an
impassable obstacle in the way of his satisfaction.  But it may be he simply
needs time to grow, and practice.  Finger feeding can be a good interim
solution too - keeps baby's mouth in physical contact with mother (or
father), and in my experience this is important for the parents, and
possibly for the baby as well.  Once a bottle enters the equation they seem
to settle into that routine with frightening rapidity.  Finger feeding never
seems like a long term solution, it is much clearer that you are on your way
to something better!
Tincture of time, while feeding the baby and protecting the milk supply -
keep us posted.  My guess it will work out, but it may take longer than just
a few days, and that might be good for the parents to know from the start.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway