From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:57:21 -0700
Barbara writes:

"If people in bfg don't join their professional
organizations (ILCA) and don't support WABA and NABA
with money and time just where do people think the
lobbying efforts to make those changes will come from?
 There is a mentality that says:  What have those
organizations done for ME lately?  Think rather:  What
have I done lately to advance my profession and the
cause of breastfeeding at the level of influencing
policy?"

Absolutely.  And don't think for a minute you're going
to do this tomorrow.  Or next week.  I myself have
retained countless pounds with that attitude.

Can't live without JHL, so my ILCA membership is
current.  But NABA?  WABA?  I do enjoy "Abreast of Our
Times..."

So I wrote a check to NABA & mailed it.  Then I called
the owner/publisher of the fledgling newspaper that
publishes my breastfeeding column and asked her to
support NABA.  She said she can't do that now but she
can give all the print space I want to promote NABA
and the need to advocate.  And she can sponsor a
spring event to raise funds.  Not bad.  This burst of
activity took 15 minutes.  Including looking for the
stamp.

I live by the credo "Think globally, act locally" but
quite frankly thinking globally includes a check, a
vote, a letter, and more.  If you're in a position to
act globally, do it.  If not, my check and yours make
action possible.

Funding is often a stopping point for the voices of
women.  On every political front women's issues take a
back seat due to lack of funding.  For reasons
well-know across the globe women have less access to
money and are less likely to dip into what they have
to support their political needs.

I hope others will be moved to write a check TODAY, to
NABA, or WABA, certainly ILCA, to an advocacy group
close to home.  Alexis writes about The Maternal Voice
which sounds like it could use a few fat checks.
Print affiliations in paperwork accompanying your
business (brochures, stationery, etc).   Lead.

I understand all of us are helping women day to day.
Many of us volunteer for breastfeeding organizations
and coalitions.  But without cash in the coffers many
of our voices are lost in the wind.  Billboards,
newsletters, and electronic communication make our
voices stick to legislation, research, and policy.

Social change takes more than yearning.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC

For more info check out the National Alliance for
Breastfeeding Advocacy (US) at
www.marshalact/Naba/home.html and the World Alliance
for Breastfeeding Action.