From:
Jennifer Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:16:44 -0400
Hello wise ones,

Permission to post.

Some of you may remember my post about the lethargic baby I saw two weeks ago.

(brief backstory - saw bb at 8 days, >200 g loss since discharge, signs of dehydration, lethargic, mom unable to pump milk at first so we began formula supplementation using tube on finger pushed by syringe, then on breast pushed by syringe.  Fast forward 2 weeks, baby now 3 wks old, now exclusively breastmilk fed, though most not at the breast because bb cannot seem to suckle well, latch has been worked on, after 1st exam, I though no TT, it seemed very clear to me, but I will check again when I see her in a few days.  Bb was seen at a walk-in to rule out other problems, is now gaining well)

Mom has begun using the Medela Calma teat, she found the alternative methods too taxing.  She reports to me that bb sucks well, generates suction, but chokes on the flow.  This surprised me, though I have virtually no experience with this teat.  Has anyone else had a baby choke on the flow with a calma teat?  According to the advertisements, baby is supposed to be able to control the flow.  What could be going on here?

I am wondering about that condition where you hear the squeeking and choking, but i cannot remember the name, or how to detect it.  (any info much appreciated!).

I am thinking this baby is used to extra stimulation on the palate, thus will not suck only on mom's nipple.

We will work on latching again, and perhaps try a nipple shield.

Anything else we can to to try to stimulate sucking on mom's nipple?

Thanks!

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLL
Montreal, QC Canada