From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:17:28 -0700
> There is no known case of small pox, therefore any planned vaccinations
are
> strictly voluntary.  Many people are not eligible candidates for the
vaccine
> b/c of the list of contraindications (CDC and MAYOCLINIC good web sites
for
> info), preventing exposure to undue risk and harm.  (risk of death after
> vaccine 2 in one million without weeding out people with
contraindications)

It may not be voluntary for health care workers in the US in the next few
months. After the military get theirs, we're next, along with police & fire
personnel. If we want to keep our jobs and cannot prove a medical
contraindication, there may be no more to discuss. At least for those of us
who work in hospitals, clinics, or medical offices. I also understand it is
not the same as the original innoculations I received as a child. It's a
super version to deal with a GM'd or weaponized virus.

My question: is it a live or killed virus innoculation?
Another: if live virus, is there a waiting period before we will be allowed
near babies & new moms? I can remember having a little clear plastic bubble
taped to my arm over the innoculation site to keep clothing off of it or so
clothing won't absorb the medication before it has a chance to work. It
probably also helped keep my fingers off it for a day or two.

--- Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC
--- Glendale, AZ, USA