From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:36:56 -0500
Hi All,
   I'm sort of back, now in Texas and waiting (impatiently) for my things to be delivered. I have a new e-mail address, it's [log in to unmask]

   I just wanted to comment that I'm beginning to feel like the word guilt is becoming a catch word for many things, even as an excuse not to provide information or support breastfeeding. It reminds me of 'bonding' which became popular in the 70's when my first two children were born. For a brief time, I actually became worried that if I didn't do some specific steps, that I would hopelessly scar them for life.

  Personally, I just feel that it a real lack of understanding of the true issue. We, here, all know that some of the people associated with pregnant women, new moms and infants, just don't have a real education in all that breastfeeding is and encompasses. Add to that, all their personal issues and biases (sp?) and the new parents' - we can begin to understand how complicated this issue can be.

  I agree with the comments that we need to stay focused and simply present the current information on breastfeeding  and human milk and the risks of formula useage - and then let the mother decide. Although I do also know that it isn't as easy as it sounds.

   Oh well, at least I know that there are many out there who feel as I do. It helps keep me going.

Leslie Ward
Ft. Hood, TX