From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:04:50 -0600
(The huge amount of mom-response to this terrible column may be a boost to
the spirits of those "fighting the good fight" everyday.   I did help this
response by posting on some breastfeeding sites, and sending the information
to my Breastfeeding Canada News list)

A column ran on Monday October 25, in the "North Bay Nugget", North Bay,
Ontario, Canada.  (FYI, North Bay is population 56,000).

The columnist is the Mayor's wife!

The article was trying to address certain impolite behaviours in the
community, such as cars splashing pedestrians and not saying please and
thank you.

Of interest is her first "proposal" to build a more civil society:

"Young mothers must stop breastfeeding in public. We all squirm at the sight
of an infant stuck to what a three-year old knows is a private part.  And
don't rationalize rude behaviour by telling us that it is a perfectly
natural function. So is vomiting, dear, but we don't want to watch you do
that, either. Particularly while dining in a nice restaurant."

A Nurse-In has been planned for City Hall, Monday at 10am, but the local
Breastfeeding Coalition has withdrawn its support since they are working
hard on implementing BFI, and don't want to "rock the boat".  I'm not sure
if the moms might decide to go ahead on their own, anyhow.

To read feedback:
http://www.nugget.ca/webapp/feedback/feedbackcontent.asp?catmainname=Feedbac
k&catname=Read+Feedback
Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G237148A9