From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:40:31 -0400
Okay, I don't get this. Carol quoted "formula can provide your baby with...
many of the benefits of breastmilk." But aren't we defining the benefits of
breastmilk as ways in which breastmilk is superior to formula? When we say
one benefit of breastmilk is that the baby is likely to have fewer ear
infections, isn't the unspoken comparison to "babies fed formula?" (And yes,
I know it is more accurate to discuss risks of formula - I'm just responding
to the wording of the quote.) So it isn't possible for formula to have the
benefits of breastmilk, since that's what we're comparing to! Or perhaps
they mean "as compared to feeding your baby beer, apple juice, or sugar
water, formula can provide your baby with many of the benefits of
breastmilk."

But this is why we often face such difficulty with medical personnel and
others. They truly believe that the differences between formula and
breastmilk are miniscule, insignificant and certainly not worth making much
effort over.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario