From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:55:42 EST
In a message dated 12/8/0 5:42:49 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< this is something that we don't use often but if they are on the
supply cart and anyone can grab one, they will be given out in
unnecessary situations>>

I agree w/ you --in one hospital where I worked, *every mother* who was bf
got the large sixe tube of lanolin. That was about it for bf info, help, etc.

In the other hospital, when I started, every mother got a hand pump. I
finally convinced them to stop giving them out and it made a big difference
in attitudes about "needing" one.

<<3) do we have to use a million gadgets? I work in the inner city. I have
patients who tell me "i just couldn't breast feed, I couldn't afford...a
pump...a pillow...special bras...whatever. (which we all know aren't
good reasons.>>

This was the population I worked with also. If you think you need all of this
stuff to bf, then AF, where you get AIM from WIC sure looks more appealing.

<<I guess I am becoming a minimalist in my old age. >>

Me, too.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA