From:
Marilee Woodworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 17:59:05 -0400
Dear Linda,
I think this father/partner could use some help learning some good listening
skills. If he could be very supportive of his wife and try to understand why
she feels the way she does. She may have some underlying issues to deal with,
maybe something as serious as past sexual abuse. Or maybe something as simple
as thinking she will have to do all the caring for the baby. Maybe she needs
some nurturing herself. If he could have a dialogue with her and really
listen to her concerns, it might go a lot farther than just trying yo
convince her. Then it becomes adversarial. We all of course agree with this
father. It is hard not to just give him all the facts to convince her, but as
we all know facts aren't enough to change people's minds.
Marilee Woodworth IBCLC, LLLL, Ann Arbor, MI 48103