From:
Natalie Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 19:30:05 -0500
A mother from Dagestan (Russia) has been diagnosed with TB (husband is not infected, the status of the baby unknown at this point, but even if the baby isn't infected it is going to be treated anyway).  I don't know if She is nursing a 6-month-old baby, 16 lb 12 oz (if I converted it right, 7500 gr).  The baby doesn't take a bottle.  The woman is devastated she may have to wean because of the treatment.  She was prescribed carsil (silibin) (?), isoniazidum (L3-AAP appr), pyrazinamide (L3), ethambutol (L2 - AAP appr), streptomycin (L3 - AAP appr) and mikobutin (rifabutin) (I have transliterated this drug since I couldn't find any references to it anywhere).  I basically have two drugs with the unknown to me at this point lactation risk category and the rest are L2-L3 with most being approved by AAP for use in BF mothers.  My concern however is whether it is possible for her to breastfeed while taking so many medications (what I have found on this list so far never mentioned so many drugs).  If it is possible to bf with all these medications, is there anything the mother should watch for (symptoms in the baby? blood levels?) I would greatly appreciate any information/thoughts/ideas.  "You are my last hope", - this mother wrote to me.

Regards,
Nataliya Wilson.
LLL leader.