Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 15:20:10 -0400
Susan L writes:

But it  says in most cases it's safe with cold water. (seems a bit like "in
most cases  driving a car without a seat belt is safe"...)
~~~
Hi Susan,

This is decent information that is poorly written. The sentence begins
saying it's safe, but then goes on to say under what conditions ( which I have
italicized, but don't know if that will come through....)

" In most cases, it's safe to mix formula using ordinary cold tap water
that's brought to a boil and then boiled for one minute and cooled.  According
to the World Health Organization, studies suggest that mixing powdered
formula with water at a temperature of at least 70 degree C—158 degrees  F—
creates a high probability that the formula will not contain Cronobacter
sakazakii."

So cold water is not safe unless it is only the starting point, and is then
 boiled and cooled appropriately. Isn't boiling water 100 C/212F? That's
even  hotter than the recommended 70/158...Unless I'm reading it wrong...I
would have  definitely reworded this section.  Also they give no suggestions on
how to  quickly cool down recently made formula/water mixtures that start
with  water at 158/70 and need to get down to body temp.... It also seems to
both  suggest mixing water that HAS BEEN boiled and cooled, as well as
water that IS  at 158....comments?

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL