Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:35:03 EST
About four or five years ago I started running a booth for a large
breastfeeding support group at a The American Baby Fair. This event is
sponsored by major formula companies. The feeding areas (even the nursing
station) have formula flyers everywhere! Last year they had formula
representatives that were dressed in white nurse jackets (but were NOT RNs-I
asked).

Every year I see huge amounts of pregnant women walking around. It makes me
angry that this is sponsored by formula companies. On the other hand it has
been a great way to get a lot of breastfeeding information out before these
moms have their babies.  I hand out bags with the breastfeeding support
group's logo on it (and make sure the woman is wearing it with the logo
facing out). We have had a lot of positive feedback both at and after these
shows.

Many people are happy to see our booth and block the booths on either side.
The hardest part was hearing an "expert" Dr. talk about breastfeeding in the
formula booth. Her end remarks where always which formula to use "if" you
want or need to use one.

Annette L.
Buffalo Grove, IL