From:
Shirley MacKinley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 20:46:55 -0400
Hi All,

I wanted to update you all because so many of you have been so much help
with this.  First of all, babe gained 14 oz. in 2 weeks exclusively
breastfed only 4 - 5 times per day, I was very relieved to find out.  I had
given her some numbers for a couple lactation consultants in Moncton (about
1 1/2 hour drive from here) and she said she would call. But she had a bad
night and was terribly sore and called me the next day to say she was going
to wean, so all I could do was to tell her how well she had done in these
circumstances and tell her that the baby will benefit greatly from the
breastmilk he already received.  The following evening she called me again
to say she couldn't quit without giving it one more try.  She is presently
nursing on the less injured side and pumping on the other and supplementing
with formula until her nipples have healed.  I suggested finger or cup
feeding, however she opted for a bottle because she has another young child
and it's less time consuming.  So I suggested a Nuk Orthodontic nipple and
to do suck training exercises several times before she nurses to reinforce
proper latch.  I brought her some Lansinoh, (_not_one_ pharmacy in town
carries it!) and the Moist wound healing procedure.  Our group member who
orders the pumps got the Lansinoh through a pump supplier and so in future
we will stock it ourselves.  I have told her she can still call the
lactation consultant if she needs to, it wouldn't make me feel bad.  Now I'm
just keeping my fingers crossed.  She did look a lot better yesterday when I
saw her.  She is very determined.

I just have to say that she had complained to the hospital nurses because
she was experiencing pain and they told her there was nothing wrong, don't
worry. This could have been caught much earlier if they had taken her seriously!

Shirley MacKinley
Mommy Best Breastfeeding Support Group