Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:27:28 EST
Talked to a mom tonight who is going to go witness the birth of her
soon-to-be adopted baby in late March.   I spoke to her on the phone about the two
aspects of adoptive nursing, one being closeness with the baby through feeding at
the breast, and the other being trying to get a bit of a supply.   We actually
have a breastfeeding medicine doctor here who has told me in the past that
she would be interested in doing the Jack Newman protocol.  The woman is
interested in doing both (feeding at the breast and building a supply, if possible).
 The problem is this:   she has struggled with infertility for years and is
set to do a final IUI (intrauterine insemination) this coming week.   She said
that the adoption came up very quickly and that if she does turn out to be
pregnant, well, then she'll just have two kids 10 months apart.

My questionis this:   obviously, if she IS pregnant, she can't do the Jack
Newman protocol and probably shouldn't actively try to lactate (e.g. pump); but
should she even be feeding with an SNS a few times a day?   I'm not sure if
she should but I thought I'd ask the Lactnet list.   Any thoughts???

Heather Kelly, MA, IBCLC
NY, NY USA