From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:50:13 -0700
My eldest daughter who is almost 30 years old and has been married for 11
years just had her first baby, an 8# 11 oz baby girl at home Saturday with
her husband, two midwives and a neonatal support person in attendance.  It
was a long 30 hour labor.  She got Zoe latched right after birth and the
baby was rooting all day Sunday and Monday.  The midwife did her return
checks on day 2 and day 4.  My daughters milk is in and with my household
help, her husbands nighttime help and the midwifes reassurance and revisits,
the baby latching is getting easier every day and baby is getting satiated.

Wow, it is great to have someone come the first days and check.  This should
be the standard of care for all first births at least and subsequent ones if
the mother wishes, rather than leaving the mother to be the lone ranger as I
was left to be after my hospital birth with this daughter.  (Thank goodness
I found LLL in the local newspaper in 1974.)  I did get to mention to the
midwife not to push the babys head in toward mom's breast and she quit doing
it.  She had heard it before, but did not put it into practice.  I think now
she will.

Judy Ritchie

Olympia, Washington State