From:
June Rychlik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:47:50 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/01 9:08:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<     There are various treatments. One can give formula that helps the =
 stomach to empty out into the small intestine faster so it doesn't sit =
 in the stomach and is not regurgitated.  Special rice formula makes the =
 digested food thicker so it is less likely to rise into the esophagus

 Anybody ever hear about formula aiding the stomach emptying =
 faster???????? >>

I suspect what the author is talking about are special protein hydrolyzed
formulas like Nutramigen and Pregestimil., and not all formulas in general.
These formulas are easier to digest than the conventional formulas (And MUCH
more expensive).  They have an odor like partially digested food.   I work
for WIC, and see so many formula feed babies go on trial of formula after
formula....none of them working.
Oh and this special rice formula is the formula companies answer to people
adding cereal to bottles to thicken their babies feeds for the same purpose.

Formula feeding can be so complicated!

The breastfed babies have a LOT fewer digestive problems.  I'm convinced from
this not only from the studies but from my personal observations.  Although
breastfed babies can get reflux, I'm convinced its more common in formula fed
babies.  (someone on this list probably even has the references)!

Too bad the pediatrician didn't suggest that the mother start try to pump to
provide breastmilk for her baby so as to see if the regurgitation problem
improves.  Instead the author talked about drugs and special formulas!!   At
least the option should have been suggested...as a medical choice.  (not a
lifestyle choice as it gets so often relegated).

June Rychlik
Lawrence Massachusetts WIC Program,
IBCLC Candidate