From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 10:20:39 -0800
Hi All,
I make it a point to never lie to my clients about pain of any kind.  I tell
them that tenderness is a normal part of the learning stage of BF that goes
away in a day or two as mom and baby get better at this "BF thing".  Some
moms experience it, some don't, it depends on baby and technique.  Now, if
she is experiencing PAIN (big difference between tenderness and pain) I tell
them that they need to call me right away, because pain is not OK, it means
that something is not right.  They seem to get the idea, and I have had moms
call me and say "This is pain, not tenderness, what do I do?", and others
call and say, "Thanks for letting me know that there might be some initial
tenderness as baby and I learned, otherwise I might have stopped altogether
if I thought I was doing something wrong."
Went to a friends sons 3rd B-day party this weekend and met one of her
friends who I had talked to 18 months ago.  Don't remember why but she
wanted to quit BF and my friend told her to talk to me first.  Well, she
thanked me for that talk, said it changed her life and her sons.  They are
still BF today and the boy is 2.5 yrs old!  Made me feel really good!

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
LACTNET Quilt Raffle  Check out the web page then e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] for where to send for your tickets!