Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:09:21 EDT
I just had an interesting conversation with a student nurse who was assigned the task of developing a brochure for our health department. I was given the brochure to review and asked to make comments to her for corrections. One of the clip art pieces she used for WIC was a bottle. I told her she couldn't use this design, and why. She said she had never heard of WHO or the Code, and couldn't understand why this wasn't told to her in class ( as a graduating senior). Her instructor was sitting in the meeting.I elaborated on the theme of the Marketing Code and explained why she was not to accept gifts from formula reps like the stethoscope with the little teddy bear clip. I told her that nurses have a professional coe of ethics that prohibited her from accepting gifts. She said the nursing instructor gave them those stethoscopes and bears and she wished that they had been told about this in class. The instructor didn't have much to say as I suggested this would be a good piece of !
information to include in future
 classes.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC
(Who is now on the way to copy the Code for the Nursing student!)