From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 06:37:41 -0400
Hi. A friend of mine sent me this. I missed it in the paper.

"Since no one mentioned this, I'm thinking perhaps no one else saw it.
Sunday, April 1, 1995; the syndicated column, Families Today, by T. Berry
Brazelton:
(headline) La Leche League library helpful to moms who want to breast feed
(text):  DEAR DR. BRAZELTON:  In response to the letter from the mother who
was looking for children's books about mothers who breast-feed their babies,
I would like to recommend the library of her local La Leche League group.
   If a local group or representative is not available, the international
office is very easy to contact.  She may call (800) LALECHE, or write to
La Leche League, Int., 1400 Meacham Road, Schaumburg, Ill. 60173; and
request a catalog.
   This catalog contains a number of books about breast-feeding, including
several children's books.
    --T.M., Lake Jackson, Texas
DEAR READER:  Thank you for the suggestion.  I should have thought of La Leche
League myself, for I have been a strong supporter of their for nearly 50 years.
[might I editorialize that he was a bit ahead of our time!!! b.] The group's
help for new mothers as they make the initial adjustment to breast-feeding
has been critical over the years.
   Such help is even more important now that hospitals are cutting down the
amount of time new mothers stay in the maternity ward.  Breast-feeding is
certainly put at risk by early discharges, for it takes several days for a
mother to adjust to the baby's sucking and to get her milk in.
   New mothers need support at home to make the necessary adjustment to the
infant.  This new early-release policy creates an increased role for the
type of help organizations such as La Leche League can offer.
   In addition, it is critical for a mother to feel that she's not deserting
her older baby as she turns to breast-feeding her new one.  Finding a book
which helps her explain it could encourage her to breast-feed her second child."
       ***

Hooray for LLL's support for bf mothers!

Kathleen B

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC (email = [log in to unmask])
"O, where hath our intelligence been drunk? "   W. Shakespeare