From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 08:13:11 -0400
Dear Netters,

So, has anyone yet come up with a reference for uric acid crystals in a
newborn and what it means?  I still say that if it was dreadfully important,
it would be somewhere as a warning sign....

And why is it, if it portends dehydration, have we seen kiddos who are
dehydrated but DON'T have uric acid crystals in their diapers?  This is
something that generally sends moms scurrying to the peds 'cuz they think it
is blood.

I agree with Pam.  I think we need some definitive answers on this so we
aren't worrying unnecessarily or aren't supplementing babies unnecessarily --
or so we ARE worrying and ARE supplementing, as the case may be.

Jan Barger
Wheaton, IL