From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 01:00:30 +1000
Apologies everybody, forgot to write a subject on the last one. It takes
time to get the hang of things after so long. Not sure what to head this...

"I'd rather have current moms bottle-feed with formula than "breastfeed" using
bottles --....I think it would be more effective, in the long run, to work
on changing the culture, even if it means some babies right now end up on
formula earlier, or from the very beginning."
Kathy, I can't believe you could really think this, though it's a good way
to make people step back and think about the issue. Aren't you being a tad
extreme here? I'd rather see babies get breastmilk by any means, than
formula by any method. Though I agree with most of what you say re pumps
and technophilia, a term I coined in a chapter-length review of expressing
and storing milk for Wellstart a few years ago, edited to suit American
tastes before publication. One day I'll organise a website and stick it on
there in its unedited version...
It really helps mothers who can't breastfeed (and some can't) to give their
milk to their baby. Clinical skills and advocacy are both needed to ensure
that this rarity doesn't become a norm. But I think we have an absolute
responsibility to give every individual baby we deal with as clinicians the
best nutrition possible in the here and now. I don't feel we can sacrifice
1998 babies to the possible betterment of the world of 2005. This is one of
those public health versus clinical context perspective things, I think...
Maureen

Maureen Minchin, IBCLC
5 St, George's Rd., Armadale Vic 3143 Australia
tel/fax after March 1: 61.3.95094929 or 95000648