From:
mary Wales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:06:15 EDT
Yes Karen and for anyone that needs a reminder, see the wonderful  updated
197 page bibliography (Thank you to Dr. Susie Ludington!) at
<_http://fpb.case.edu/KangarooCare/KCBIB2010.pdf_
(http://fpb.case.edu/KangarooCare/KCBIB2010.pdf) >

Mary Wales
Mason OH USA
---------------------------------

Karen replies to Julia:
Just an aside re: post below (after online definition), I'm assuming  that
for the preterm baby who is in an isolette, whose mother is "not  allowed"
breastfeed and who aren't physically skin2skin, it is due to some  weird
complication for either baby or mother since there's lots of  compelling
evidence for both ongoing skin2skin/kangarooing and breastfeeding  as
enhancing systems stability for preterm babies...

Julia writes:
I agree that skin to skin is essential for emotional and physical growth of
 an infant. I think that we need to be more aware of today's birth process
and  that A LOT of babies are unable to be held by the mother after birth
due to  extreme prematurity/illness. When this occurs we should not make
mom/dad feel  guilty for not being able to hold their babies. We should promote
touching  through the isolette and staying with baby as much as possible, but
we can't say  that the baby is being deprived due to birth situation.

When skin to skin  is allowed,  then by all means we need to encourage it
as much as possible,  but if mother is unable to do so we should use pumping
as a way for her to be  close to her baby.