From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:59:44 -0800
Jan B (writes) -- hoping a few more people will get into this dialogue.
We've got a
few docs on this list -- what do you think?

Yes, I've been following this thread   and  have been thankful I'm a doc and
can prescribe  what I want - reglan, diflucan, abx, etc.  I recommend
cabbage freely and occasionally fenugreek. But beyond that, I don't do
herbs - why?   I don't have a comfortable knowledge base... and I haven't
seen many good studies to convince me that xyorz is a tool I should be
using.

The bottom line for me is this: don't do something you're not comfortable
with, whether it's a procedure,  or recommending a medication  [or an herb]
or even referring a patient to someone [yes, there are  people I won't even
refer patients to].  Find someone you can refer to in these situations to
get the job done.

Regarding being sued - anyone can sue you for anything. It doesn't matter if
they  don't "have a  just case" - you'll still get dragged through it.
Fortunately for you guys, you are small potatoes - docs pay big malpractice
insurance.

And speaking of malpractice, as I remember, it consists of 4 parts:
1. departure from   "standard of care"   [this is the point you're debating,
right?]
2. incident due to this departure
3. injury due to incident
4. injury has permanent effect???  help me on this one - any JD's out there?

Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC