From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 19:35:51 -0800
I know this was briefly discussed a few weeks back, but I was browsing
the web today and found this site about farrowing (birth) and lactation
in the sow.

http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b872-w.html

Here are some snippets:

<<The establishment of teat order occurs soon after birth, and there is
a tendency for a pig to continue nursing a certain teat until
weaned. Some fighting to establish teat order continues during the first
week of life and the smaller, weaker pigs may be forced
to nurse the less productive rear teats. This further reduces their
chances for survival. Select replacement gilts with an ample
number (12-14) of functional evenly spaced teats. Presence of pin
nipples, inverted nipples and nipples damaged by nipple
necrosis will reduce the pigs' access to milk produced by the sow. Long,
slender teats tend to provide a more secure nursing
station, especially for small pigs.

The composition of sow's milk varies greatly due to stage of lactation,
nutrition and genetics of the sow. Colostral milk contains
a greater concentration of immunoglobulin proteins increasing the
percent of solids and total protein in the milk (Table 2). As
lactation progresses, the fat and lactose (milk sugar) proportions
increase and the protein decreases.>>

Here's another one about lactation in cats and dogs, which has some neat
tables comparing the composition of milk of cats, dogs, pigs, cows, and
humans.

http://classes.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci308/dogcatlact.html

It was quite interesting, and maybe an indication that I spend far too
much time in front of my computer.

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, BC