From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:28:47 -0800
Good morning all...
Jaye wrote in about nipple shields, and their use and
application; even though the thread dried up pretty
quickly, I wanted to add something.

I have seen the "over the counter" shields from A***t.
I was shocked, as I had no idea these were so readily
available.  A mom had bought them, brought them to the
hospital, and had been using them for feeds without
the knowledge of the staff.  Only her offhanded
comment about how feeds were "so much more comfortable
when I am using the protectors" got a discussion going
that led to this discovery!  She had them stashed in a
drawer; I never would have known she had been using
them had she not mentioned them.  EEEEK.  I actually
thought the "protectors" were *breast shells* (first
thing that came to my mind).  There was a bit of a
language barrier, so I asked her to show me what she
had been using (then I almost fell over).

It REALLY bothers me that companies are marketing
shields that are being sold over-the-counter!  Their
stance is probably the classic "caveat emptor" (let
the buyer beware) but IMHO, when you are marketing to
vulnerable moms and helpless infants, this is
irresponsible.

Now, for those of us who choose to use shields both
selectively and responsibly in our practice...Jaye
wrote in about turning the shield inside out before
applying, and this works great.  I also picked up some
tips from a respected co-worker and mentor to refine
my own methods (love ya, Gini!  Mmm-WAH!).  I am
currently doing the following: 1) Invert the shield
just past the "bend".  2) Center it over the nipple.
3) With a thumb on either side of the base of the
shield's cone, gently press straight back toward the
chest wall; hold in place for a slow count of ten,
keeping the shield inverted.  4)While still
stabilizing the shield, smooth the edges of the shield
back down against the breast, so it is "right side
out" again.  This really makes the nipple come forward
and fill the shield cone.  Also seems to form a better
seal, so the shield stays in place, despite a wiggly
baby, etc.

Pray for World Peace,
Carole