From:
Zoo-Mama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:50:34 -0600
At 9:07 AM -0600 12/4/01, Rose Straeter wrote:

>My question regards hospital practices that interfere with breastfeeding - I
>was wondering what other hospitals do and how they have gone about changing
>their policies.
>For example
>bathing the newborn - and them warming them back up
>eye drops
>separation from mother after birth for vitals/statistics
>etc.
>thank you for your input

Are you looking for responses from other LC's or just personal experiences
from everyone?

I gave birth about seven weeks ago and my local hospital adhered to my
birth plan, which included no eye meds, no separation from mother after
birth without my express permission, delayed bath, etc. and all my
wishes were met.  However, that was because I requested these things
and I'm fairly certain without my interference baby would have been
immediately washed, dosed, etc.

The hospital does assume rooming in, though, and has LDRP rooms.
There are definitely more baby-friendly moves being made even though
they are slow in coming.

Our biggest breastfeeding problem coming from that hospital seems
to be nipple confusion, as they appear to have staff who don't know
about it or don't believe in it.

Maren
LLLL
Oklahoma, USA