From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 06:47:23 -0400
>according to Jewish law, a marriage could be dissolved if the wife had boldily
>disfigurements including a "tefach," a handbreadth, between on breast and the
>other (The Shulchan Aruch)."  The authors then go on to speculate, "Is it
>possible that the association between widely spaced breasts and
>inadequate milk production was known in biblical times?"
The Shulhan Aruch is not from biblical times, it was written in the
middle ages if I'm not mistaken. However, it is certainly very possible
that the connection between spaced breasts and inadequate milk production
was known by our ancestors. We also all know that small breast doesn't
necessarily mean poor milk production. I and others I know are
living testament to that, so I wonder if there was some other
condition necessary to disslove the marriage. It is true that,
in Jewish tradition, if there is no child after 10 years of marriage
a man MAY (does not have to by may) divorce his wife. I will
see if I can get some more information on this one.

Also, dissolving a marriage makes more sense to me than not marrying
in the first place in this context. As I said in an earlier post,
the husband would have had not opprotunity to measure the distance
between breasts before marriage.

Noami Bar-Yam