From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 22:23:13 EST
In a message dated 2/16/1 4:25:39 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I would like for these ethnic differences to be considered in the American
WIC populations but I know that it is a long time in coming. It really
doesn't serve them well to stress their use of foods that do not enhance
their well being.   >>

When I worked extensively with moms on WIC, I discovered that a great many of
the African-American moms would put artificially-flavored powdered drink mix
into their milk so that they could force themselves to drink it, b/c they
said the WIC nutritionists had convinced them that it was necessary for their
growing fetuses. They then followed up by serving it the same way to their
children. Often they were very happy to discover that there was a good reason
for them to not eat foods they were allergic to.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA