Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:01:59 EDT
I do think that breastfeeding is blamed for everything.  From  hair falling
out to hangnails to low weight gain or excessive weight gain (mom  OR
baby), to inability to pay the mortgage.  (If they can't pay the  mortgage, they
BETTER be breastfeeding!!).  So as someone else has noted,  this doctor is
seeing issues and is blaming breastfeeding.  The issues  would be there if
the mom was giving the toddler steak & eggs and he was  drinking out of a cup
(not even a sippy cup!).

I liked Morgan's statement about not being able to prove a  negative.  So
anyone can make any statement and ask us to back it up.   Interesting how the
competition never bothers to back up their statements.   Yesterday's "sigh"
by a nurse at a conference where I was speaking:  "How  do I approach a
physician who insists all mothers supplement with formula  because breastmilk
doesn't have enough calcium or omega 3 fatty  acids?"  Enough calcium in
comparison to what?  Told her to ask the  physician for his references (she'll
never get anything), and reminded her the  only thing breastmilk is deficient
in is Vitamin D, and that only because  virtually every mother in the USofA
is deficient in Vitamin D.

To every Lactnetter out there -- I DO hope you are all taking YOUR  Vitamin
D on a daily basis, and not a puny 400 I/U, either.  Should be at  least
10x that much!!  And your spouses and your parents and your children  and the
moms that you serve.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Vitamin D proponent