From:
Shandell Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:03:16 -0500
Hello! My name is Shandell Ferguson, and I am a junior in the nursing
program at the University of North Dakota.  I am enrolled in a
childbearing class, and am currently in my OB clinical rotation right
now.  I joined this listserv to learn about various topics. This past
week I have been reading the archives and have found some of them to be
very interesting.  OB is a fairly new subject for me that I have not had
much experience with or know much about.  I am very eager to learn and I
hope to have a great time learning all about babies and their mom.
     While I was looking through some topics about breastfeeding, one
specific topic caught my eye.  This topic is: does human milk help
reduce infection rates in infants (preterm or low birth weight) versus
formula fed infants  (preterm  or low birth weight).  I did some
research in this area, and came up with some interesting facts.
According to Raisler, Alexander and O'Campo (1999), babies that are only
breastfed had the lowest illness rates including diarrhea, cough or
wheeze and ear infections.  Also their results showed that babies who
had some breast milk but mostly formula had no protection.