From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:01:04 +1000
Hi Kerrie,
I'd love to be able to provide you with refs but there's not much out there
that I could find. The one paper I have
(Raisler et al 1999. Breast-feeding and infant illness: a dose response
relationship? Am J of Public Health 89: 25-30) suggests that there is a
threshold level of breastfeeding required for a significant decrease in
illness in the first 6 months of life and that this threshold is fairly high
(ie basically babies needed to be exclusively breastfed) for most diseases
looked at. The exception was diarrhea  for which there was some decrease in
incidence with minimal breastfeeding. Not what you want to hear I know and
it's only a single study. I certainly wouldn't discourage women from
breastfeeding because they make only small amounts of milk saying that it
makes no difference because I just can't believe that even small amounts of
milk can't make a difference. I think we need more studies. That said, I
don't think that we can say that X,Y,Z amounts of milk will be protective.
There are some pretty outlandish statements made in this area and it's not
helpful.
Please someone do some more research in this area!!
Karleen Gribble
Australia