From:
Mark & Lechia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:39:14 -0500
Just my .02 as a night L&D/PP/Nursery nurse, I personally HATE feeding the
babies, but of course I wouldn't be on lactnet if I enjoyed it.  And, if one
returns his meal to me, I heave!  So, there are a few of us out there, but I
do know of several that "help" mother out by giving "just one" bottle so she
can rest.  However, one pediatrician pushed for it to be policy and standing
order that no bf baby receive bottles "without mother's permission."  For
the uneducated, that permission sometimes comes easy, but at least the nurse
has to ask.

As for c/s, I often enjoy working with them, because (for now) they are
still staying 3 days in the hospital, so sometimes I actually get to rejoice
and reassure mother when "her milk comes in."

BTW, when I teach BF classes, I cover myths about BF.  One of them is "the
milk comes in at 3 days."  I explain that, because of additional fluid, milk
supply increasing (not "coming in") and the new breast activity, they may go
through a "period of fullness" somewhere around 3-5 days.  I then
differentiate this from engorgement and get to stress that colustrum IS
milk.

Lechia Davis, RNC, ACCE, IBCLC