Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:14:03 -0500
This is my first post, but I have been reading for several weeks.  The
"flat Nipple" discussion got me going.  This past week in the hospital
where I an the resident "milk maid" we had "another day in L&D".  A woman
needed to be delivered so prostaglandin gel one night, then IV oxytocin
started for three days.  Stopped the Pit for the night, fed her( yes she
NPO all day for labor) and rested her and restarted the induction @ 6 Am,
each day.Third day MD broke the water.  She gets to 3 cm and there is a
nonreassuring FHT so... You guessed it off to the C/S room and deliver this
child under epidural anesthesia.  The baby is beautiful and healthy.  Now
for the rest of the story... the Special Care Nursery was very busy, so the
baby was allowed to go to the regular nursery for initial care with the
understanding that any concern and it would be transferred to SCN.  Well
like I said things were busy so I was in the Nursery and knowing that the
mother wanted to breastfeed, I took the baby to Recovery Room for the first
feeding about 45 minutes after birth.  Mother had extremely large breasts
and inverted nipples!!!  Baby had all the instincts and tried for the
longest time and finally achieved a good latch!.  Great Grandma (support
person... another very long story) agreed to stay the night and keep baby
at mother's bedside and assist with breastfeeding so the "busy nurses"
wouldn't have another baby in the nursery to bottle feed.  God Bless that
72 year old woman she put that baby to breast every time he woke and by the
morning the child was really doing well and had three wet and 2 dirty
diapers and no supplementation.  Discharge for mother and baby was today
and he is doing great she has a very active letdown and the baby has a very
big appetite.  He is totally satisfied with the feedings.  She still has
inverted nipples but that does not seem to bother the baby, he doesn't know
anything else!!!!!  It is so nice to see a happy outcome, thought you might
enjoy knowing that it can work with a little help from a friend or should I
say Great Grandma.
Rita Traina RNC, IBCLC