From:
P Wiggins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:20:55 -0400
Need a little help here from some of you experts.  Just got a call from a 42
yr old who has one 3 year old (weaned at 7 mo.) Yesterday she noticed her
right breast was noticably larger, heavy, and has milk.  Her right breast
has been larger ever since an automobile accident (5 months pregnant at the
time).  Accident also left her right arm paralzyed (according to her, just
like Bob Dole's.)  She had her tubes tied 5 months ago.  She complained then
to her gynecologist about the difference in size and he was able to squeeze
milk out.  He just said, "There's the problem.  You are lactating." (Wow,
what insight) When asked "why" he said he didn't know and dropped the
subject.  Now she is worried and uncomfortable.  She says she has had no
unusual stimulation to that breast lately.  She has been feeling nauseus in
the mornings and has several other symptoms of pregnancy. She feels she just
cannot handle another baby with only one arm. Her mother died of breast
cancer.  She has had mammos at 35 and 41. No problems.

My question:  How unusual is it for a woman to still have milk 2 1/2 years
after weaning?
What could have caused one breast to suddenly become "slightly engorged with
milk" after all this time?  I told her I would post to Lactnet and ask the
experts!  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.  Pam Wiggins, Franklin VA.