Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:35:17 +0000
Interested to know: what are the legal obligations for a formula
manufacturer to write on the pack or can of formula? If it cannot legally
be defined as an infant formula because it does not meet FDA regs, can it
be marketed as such? Can it have the word 'formula' on the tin?  Surely if
something can't be legalled called something, it is illegal to have that
word on the pack????

The only thing that will make manufacturers behave 'well' is legislation
backed up with sanctions for disobedience, and constant vigilance.

Here, milk manfuacturers have been forced to standardise labelling, so all
formulas must state the superiority of breast milk (as in WHO code) and
must not have 'idealised' pix of babies on the pack. Of course they use
cosy little teddies and bunnies instead....and boy, do they ever push the
guilt argument when in dialogue  with health professionals. I know - I make
it my business to eavesdrop whenever I can ; )

Manufacturers in Europe are not permitted to make contact with mothers
direct - so what do they do? They have 'road shows' with heavy branding of
their 'follow on milks' which just happen to have the same livery and
similar names as their ordinary formulas. A well known company are doing a
country wide one at the moment, turning up in every shopping centre and
mall, offering to take free photos of your baby, and offering to enter them
in the  (name of follow on)  baby contest.

Yuk.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc  Newcastle upon Tyne UK