From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:50:28 EST
In a message dated 11/3/2004 10:27:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

If there's n  ot enough intake and baby is stooling infrequently, then
yes, baby is not  getting enough to eat.   but there can be other  issues
contributing to infrequent stooling.....gut dysbiosis,   food
intolerances,  food allergies, something else out of  balance.

Dear Friends:
    There can be many reasons that a baby isn't  stooling according to an
expectation.
    Remember about the normal variation in adults: some  people poop a little
every time they use the toilet, others go once a week. I've  seen a baby with
sufficient intake and weight gain (3/4 ounce per day)  stool once weekly
(after he cleared his meconium).
    If the baby is acting fine, and waking to ask to  eat frequently, and
smiling, and peeing, and waking to look around and interact  with mother, then
what can one do if the baby isn't stooling according to  expectations?    Babies
never pretend to be well to  make their mothers feel good.
    I have been told by pediatric practitioners that  very smelly flatus (the
kind where mom rushes to the baby, ready to change that  dirty diaper.....and
the diaper is clean) means that the poop will come. I have  seen this
clinically also.
    The key is teaching that there are many components  of a healthy newborn,
stooling is but one part of a whole picture.
    warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative