From:
gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 02:02:24 -0800
Dear friends,

It is a nice video, indeed. It shows how easy and important handexpression of colostrum is. I do have some second thoughts, though.

I don't like all the hands on mom that aren't hers. I'd rather see mom do it herself following instructions of the HCP. Or perhaps HCP guiding moms own hands. I think it is not a very effective way of empowering women to handle their breasts for them.

About routinely hand express and spoon feed following every breastfeeding of a healthy term newborn. If baby does a good job at breast I see no need to hand express and top up. Baby will get all colostrum he needs by simply feeding at breast as often as he needs. If feeding at breast is not well, I think hand expressing and spoon feeding is a great way of providing food, getting baby more alert and protecting milkproduction all in one.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, LLLL in southern Netherlands, where the first spring flowers are peekig out of their winter-nest