From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 10:42:27 EST
In a message dated 12/12/98 8:05:30 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Since Candida is back on Lactnet, I just thought I would post the latest
 concotion I use for Candidal infections of the nipples.  >>

Fungal infections of the hair, skin and nails are a major source of morbidity
throughout the world.  Most of these infections are caused either by
dermatophytes or by yeasts, most commonly Candida species.
A crucial factor for the "successful" treatment of fungal infections of the
skin is an understanding of the kinetics of turnover of epidermal cells
(skin).  Microorganisms in nonhairy skin inhabit the stratum corneum (outmost
layer of skin consisting of cells that are dead and desquamating), which is
normally replaced every 2 to 3 WEEKS! (If you don't like what you see in the
mirror, wait 2-3 weeks and you will be a "new" person!  <g>).  Since the
primary effect of most antifungal drugs is to PREVENT colonization of new
tissue by the organisms, any agent should be used for a MINIMUM of 4 WEEKS to
eradicate the infection!
David Andrew Green, MD FAAP