From:
Philippa Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 20:09:15 +1100
After sending my post on BFHI & UNICEF in Australia I realised that I was
thinking parochially and not globally.  Every time I mentioned UNICEF it
should have read UNICEF Australia.  The decision not to accredit any more
hospitals as baby-friendly was made by the Council of UNICEF Australia, and
so only applied in Australia.  Some other national bodies of UNICEF in
developed countries have taken a very different approach, reflecting an
understanding that what happens in developed countries is not totally
separate from what happens in developing countries.  I believe Switzerland
and Sweden are two places where UNICEF has responded differently.
Do we have any Lactnetters who are au fait with the situation in other
developed countries?  It would be good to have your input.
Philippa Thomson
Melbourne, Australia