Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:43:51 -0300
> She's 43.  In an unscientific
> response, I told her my neighbor of about the same age has been experiencing
> PMS lately, when she never had it before.  And in a more scientific vein I
> told her menstrual issues tend to smooth out with bfing, and perhaps the PMS
> is related to the gradual *decline* in bfing,

Still anecdotal, here. Is it possible that this is an effect of
perimenopause? I still haven't been able to find many references on the
effect of (peri)menopause on breastfeeding. I'm wondering if the usual
hormonal patterns are more marked with menopause.
The other thing is that mothers nursing toddlers often report the same
thing. I had thought it was related to pregnancy (since many mothers I
help are nursing toddlers through a pregnancy) but I am not so sure now.
As you suggest, it could be the decline in breastfeeding. Mothers who
are most irritated feel that their supply has decreased, either because
of a pregnancy, during ovulation (or sometimes PMS) or because the child
is nursing less frequently. On the other hand, frequent nursing at this
age often leads to less-than-gradual weaning.
Gonneke, you have a theory about mothers being irritated by bf toddlers,
don't you?
Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, 44 years old and still bf.