Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:54:46 EDT
I work in a hospital based Lactation Center where we do outpatient consults.  On staff at the hospital is one particular Pediatrician that feels that we are overstepping our bounds and making diagnosis.  The particular situation that he has brought up is telling the mother that her baby may be showing signs of refux, give her things to try, but tell her that she may want to check with her Pediatrician.  We know that this is within our scope of practice, but we need definitive documentation to present, as he is writing a letter to the Board of Directors of the hospital.  At this time our Director (oversees Maternity Services in general) has told us that we are to tell the patients "I don't know what is going on" and refer them to the Pediatrician in ANY situation.  We are also anticipating them telling us that we can not recommend herbs, as this is "prescribing".  Anyone that can direct us to documented resources, it would be greatly appreciated.  Please respond to cgloberger@l!
akeforesthospital.com.  Thank you in advance.  Claudia Globerger RN/IBCLC