From:
Halle Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:32:21 EST
Hi ladies,
Thanks for your thoughts.
Ann, the mom is indeed recording intakes and weights at all feedings.  They
see the ped on Monday, I reminded her to have baby weighed on same scale as
last time.

Would have been nice to have intervention on day five, you're so right.
Doctor wasn't worried for some crazy reason.

Heather suggested: >>all this points to a baby who was not transferring milk
effectively (or at all???). I think the active word is 'seemed to' latch and
nurse well.  Who saw him feed? Who saw him take the breast?>>

Baby was observed in hospital by LC both before original discharge and after
dehydration episode.  LC thinks latch is fine, mother hears and sees
swallowing, no nipple soreness.  As this also happened with her first child,
I am still under the suspicion she has an underlying issue.

Regardless, of course, she now has to work overtime trying to get milk back.
As I mentioned, from her description it seems clear the pump is clearly
ill-fitting and not the appropriate pump choice for building a supply, so I
suggested she get a second set of eyeballs when she returns to the LC for a
new pump/fitting.  ( I heard today from a co-Leader that mom has procured a
Classic, but not how the consult went, I'll call the mom later.)  Hard one
for me to assess over the phone.  Hopefully she will also get to an LLL mtg
on her side of town this week, for some more support and eyes-on direction.

Any thoughts about the excessive soy in her own diet, as a possible hormonal
complication of the waning milk supply?

BTW, this is an incredible mom.  Father not in picture, grandmother
supportive but working full time, a toddler plus this newborn, and I tell you
she's cool as a cucumber, talks to her toddler so calmly and thoughtfully,
and wants to know how I am when I call!! A born nurturer.  If anyone deserves
to succeed at breastfeeding, it is this woman.
Thanks,
Halle