From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 02:15:04 -0500
 posted a couple of times on here. I  continue to learn so much
from this forum. I enjoy hearing so many different view points on subjects.
It is also wonderful and supportive to know others feel the same way I do on
breastfeeding.

I come out from "reading only" to comment on the recent AAP statement. I was
excited when I heard that the AAP was coming out with a new statement on
breastfeeding. I think the new statement covers a great deal, is strong, and
a huge step in the right direction. But after reading it and had gotten
excited about what it said, it has made me really start to think " What will
the AAP statement change? Will it change anything?" I know I am being
pessimistic but I think also realistic.

It listed several problems as to why breastfeeding rates are so low, but will
doctors push for change? Are they even able to make the changes in hospitals
or is it some admin person who has the say on things?  Will doctors say "Make
sure that baby gets to the breast an hour after the birth."? Will the free
formula packs stop? Will doctors go and learn correct bf info? Will hospital
policies change to support bf mothers? Will mothers get correct and complete
prenatal bf info? Will mothers be able to go to the doctors office without
seeing formula reminders all over the wall?

I do hope so.

I know I have listed doctors, but I do wish to include all types of health
care providers who work with mothers as they should also make changes in
light of this recent statement.

I guess this was really a mini vent. I am just the type of person who hates
all talk and no action. I only hope that ACTION will follow this AAP
statement.

Thank you for listening.
Kim Ann Lorber
LLL Leader