From:
Kirsten Blacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:43:37 +0800
Here in sunny Australia the practice seems to be for Rh- mums - an antibody
screen at about 26 weeks gestation, and then baby's blood group checked and
a Kliehauer test done at delivery. Rhogam (or AntiD) is only given in
pregnancy if there are maternal antibodies, or there is an antepartum
haemorrhage, or miscarriage in an Rh- mum.
After delivery mum gets AntiD if baby is Rh positive.
I suspect part of the reason we give it only when absolutely needed is that
intermittently we run out of our own stock of AntiD and have to 'resort' (!)
to the American stuff. You should see the consent form that comes with
Rhogam! Nothing personal, I assure you!

Kirsten Blacker
RN RM
and Rh- mum to two Rh+ boys