From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:01:13 -0400
Hi Allyson,

It sounds to me, from the info you provided, that you are right in that the
mom has an abundant milk supply and that the baby is used to the fast
let-down.  The baby seems to be gaining well, mom is pumping large amounts
in a short time, the baby is spitting up, etc. all indicate lots of milk.

I have had success suggesting that moms in this situation breastfeed on the
first side until the baby comes off (5 minutes), burp the baby, and switch
to the other breast.  If the baby craves the strong letdown, the switch
will give him another letdown.  Often the baby is content to nurse longer
on the second side because he is a little more full and ready to nurse more
slowly and/or for comfort.  If necessary, she can switch back to the first
side when/if the baby signals he wants more and complete the feeding with
the "third" side, but the baby may have gotten plenty of milk without
this.

Sometimes babies fuss because they want more sucking time, but are
frustrated because the milk keeps coming at them when they are full and
don't want to drink anymore.  Nursing longer on the emptier breast (second
side) may satisfy this baby's sucking needs without the abundance of milk
to drink.

Try this for a while and see if it helps.  I don't think the mom needs to
increase her milk supply with herbs.  I think the signs indicate that she
has plenty of milk.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
near Cleveland, Ohio