From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:24:33 EDT
Hello fellow Lactnetters.

This past Sunday at Church, I had the opportunity to teach a  lesson to the
women's organization on the need to be prepared, and how.   Our church is well
known for emergency preparedness, so I wanted to put a new  spin on beating
the dead horse with info.  I think I was hugely  successful.  Of course I talked
about storing food and water etc.   Then I made total eye contact with the 5
pregnant mothers that sat there, and  told them that there would be NOTHING
harder to witness than the starvation  of my own infant.  I told them they each
had  the ability to prevent  that.  I told that if at all possible,
breastfeed.  Breastmilk was  sterile, full of germ fighting qualities that would help
fight the infections  sure to sprout up from a disaster ridden area. Etc. Etc.
I  topped it off to say that we never knew when a disaster could befall us.
(People had hurricane warnings, we in Northern California will have NO warning
 of that huge earthquake).   As I was finishing speaking, a woman piped  up
and totally blew the wind out of my talk.  "Of course if you CAN'T
breastfeed....we don't want to force it on you"  WHAT???  I was  floored and shook my
head and said that IF AT ALL POSSIBLE one should  breastfeed.  Those that "Can't"
are extremely rare.  But I could tell  the damage had been done...the
pregnant women had doubt placed in their minds  again of their own ability to
breastfeed.  <<SIGH>>

Oh how I long to be finished with the process so I can hold  proper meetings
in this area to properly educate and help women to  breastfeed.

Oh well...keep on plugging....

Renee Drake RN CLC