From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:17:12 -0800
I am in the process of again (for the 3rd year in a row) teaching members of
an African American Church about how to support their members who are
breastfeeding.  This was originally part of a research project of the
innovator of the program "A More Excellent Way" (which is from a biblical
quote), Monique Sims (now DOCTOR SIMS <grin>) who approached pastors and
leaders of the churches and provided them with information about the health
disparities of their babies and the ways that breastfeeding could help.  She
coordinates a yearly "MEW Baby Shower" for moms and their support people,
held each year at a different church - but before that, members of the
church receive training on breastfeeding in a series of 6 Saturday sessions.

The outline I use is from the California WIC Peer Counselor program
<http://www.wicworks.ca.gov/breastfeeding/peerCounselorManual.htm> but of
course changed to meet this audience of men and women leaders, some who did
breastfeed and some who did not:

All this is to explain that these were NOT young, inexperienced people in my
group - they are intelligent hard-working people who are giving up their
Saturdays to complete this program.

So my topic yesterday was: the disadvantages of formula-feeding.  Something
that I needed to discuss with them, but needed to address in a diplomatic
way as some of them have only formula-fed their own children 10, 15, and 20
years ago.

I brought up information about the source and design of formula - and then,
following the outline asked "What, of what I've just mentioned, surprised
you the most?

The answer: "I didn't know formula came from cow's milk!"

When asked what they thought it came from, they couldn't say...but it makes
me want to have ingredient labels at all my presentations!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA